Before plugging in and switching on your new refrigerator, there are a few things you can do to extend its service life. Before you start unpacking, it’s also a good idea to go over the refrigerator’s manual and review any particular suggestions from the manufacturer.
You should wait 2-4 hours before plugging in a fridge after transport because it contains oil used to keep the compartments cold. If that fluid hasn’t settled properly, it can cause a blockage. The amount of time you need to wait varies depending on how the device was transported.
To best assess how long to wait before plugging in your fridge, you’ll need to figure out if the refrigerator was transported on its side or upright. It may seem trivial, but this information will help you figure out how to maximize the refrigerator’s service life.
Why Do You Have to Wait to Plug-In a New Fridge?
The simple answer is to maintain the excellent operation of your new refrigerator (or freezer). This is because your refrigerator’s compressor contains oil that may have leaked into the refrigeration system during transportation. If the oil hasn’t settled properly, it can cause a blockage when the refrigerator is reconnected to power.
As a rule of thumb, please wait at least two hours after bringing in your new refrigerator before turning it on. However, if the package was delivered or moved on its side instead of upright, you should wait for four hours.
It’s critical to pay close attention to the manner in which your refrigerator was delivered to your residence. Note whether it was brought in on its side or upright.
The refrigerator is equipped with internal pipes that carry lubricants. After being in transport to your location, the pipes need to settle down a bit in order to perform at their best. As a result of the wait, your new refrigerator’s service life will be extended.
When you first acquire your new refrigerator, position it upright in a stable position and allow it to rest for a few hours before using it. After 2-4 hours, you may connect it to a power source and turn it on.
This is a suggestion that shouldn’t be ignored. Turning on your refrigerator right away after it arrives at its destination could do a lot of damage.
How Long Do You Have to Wait to Put Food in a New Fridge?
If you’ve got to wait to plug in your fridge, do you also need to wait to put food inside?
Before the fridge can work properly, the temperature inside must reach a particular level. Allow the refrigerator to cool for approximately two hours after turning it on. After this two-hour period, you can refrigerate your food.
However, each model has a unique waiting time. Some refrigerators only require two hours, while others may demand more time. Waiting this long is important to allow the refrigerator to reach the right temperature and to make sure it works properly.
If you put food in the refrigerator before the wait time has elapsed, and if the refrigerator isn’t working right, your food might not be in the best shape. As a result, it is always a good idea to follow the timeline recommended by the manufacturer.
Why Do You Have to Wait to Put Food in a New Fridge?
Are you concerned about what may go wrong if you place food in the refrigerator before the freezing device reaches its maximum temperature? Did you know that the thermostat settings control the average temperature of a refrigerator? The fridge takes two hours to reach its maximum temperature.
So, if you put food in the refrigerator before the specified time, the following may occur:
- To begin with, if you do not allow sufficient time for the refrigerator to cool, the food can create an unpleasant odor inside the fridge. You certainly want to ensure that no unpleasant smell comes out of your fridge.
- If you put food in the refrigerator before the specified time, it can take even longer for the refrigerator to cool. This places a tremendous strain on the equipment.
Indeed, the freezer will cease to perform effectively. Remember that the thermostat settings determine the required temperature of the refrigerator. If the refrigerator has not reached that temperature, it becomes difficult to operate.
How Long Do You Have to Wait to Put Food in a New Freezer?
On average, it takes anywhere from 12 to 24 hours for the freezer to become cold enough to keep food frozen. This depends on the type and size of the freezer.
Putting an ice cube tray filled with fresh water into the freezer is a smart technique to determine whether the temperature is cold enough to effectively freeze your food. Once the ice cubes have frozen, you may proceed with freezing your other items.
A Few Pointers for Taking Care of Your New Refrigerator
It would be best if you considered your refrigerator as a long-term household investment. Once you acquire a refrigerator, you can expect it to serve you for at least 10 years and even longer if you maintain it properly.
Because it’ll be with you for a long time, you should consider factors beyond just the design when you’re deciding on a model.
Always examine the product’s functionality from every angle before purchasing it. When you finally buy a fridge, you need to take good care of it at home to ensure its effective functioning.
Refrigerators are self-contained machines that require minimal interaction from the user. Your responsibility is to keep the machine clean and in good working order.
Taking care of a fridge is relatively straightforward. A few simple steps can keep your fridge clean and running for a long time:
- Maintain a full fridge: Keep your fridge stocked. As strange as it may sound, a full fridge ensures effective chilling. Even if you have only have a few food items in the fridge, you can fill the remaining space with cans and bottles. Basically, your fridge shouldn’t be empty.
- Keep hot food out of the fridge: Cooked food should not be refrigerated immediately. Putting hot food in the fridge puts a lot of strain on the equipment.
To extend the life of your refrigerator, let food cool before storing it. This simple action will ensure that your machine remains fresh and durable for many years.
- Close the fridge door: Close your refrigerator’s door to maintain a constant temperature. Unnecessarily opening or closing the fridge door may cause damage. During a blackout, keep your fridge closed. Even if there is no electricity, your fridge will keep its temperature.
- Moderate the temperature: You want a fridge that is neither too cold nor too hot. Keeping it too cold can put an extra strain on your fridge. Meanwhile, a high temperature prevents the fridge from doing its main job, which is to keep food fresh.
So, what’s the ideal temperature? Your refrigerator’s temperature should be approximately 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Check your thermostat settings and adjust accordingly.
- Keep the fridge tidy: Keep your fridge as clean as possible to avoid unpleasant situations. Avoid stale items and clear away any dirt or excess liquid that you find.
- Wait to turn it on: Finally, it’s better to wait at least two hours before turning on a new refrigerator, and four hours if it’s delivered on its side rather than upright. Then, after switching it on, consider the length of time you must allow before loading food into the device.
This way, you can ensure that the compressor is not overloaded. It’s important not to put perishable foods in a hot fridge that will take a while to cool down to the right temperature.
Waiting enables you to ensure that your new refrigerator operates flawlessly. Nothing is more infuriating than filling it up and waiting to learn that you’ve purchased a dud.