Whether you like it or not, there’ll always be trash coming out of your house, and you’ll need somewhere to dispose of it. Hence, the need for a garbage can. But where’s the best place to keep your garbage can – in the garage or outside?
Keeping your garbage inside the garage is not a good idea. The best solution is to keep the garbage cans behind the house and out of sight. If you must keep the trash inside the garage, clean the garbage can as needed to prevent any stench and keep any insects or pests from invading your home.
It’s good to know the pros and cons of keeping your trash can in the garage. If it’s the smell you’re concerned about, there are ways to handle that, and you’ll find them as you read on.
Is It Safe to Leave Garbage Cans in the Garage?
Many might feel like it’s a bad idea to keep their garbage cans in the garage, and they aren’t wrong to think that way. After all, there are some downsides to leaving garbage cans in the garage.
However, some would argue that it’s better to leave your garbage cans in the garage for different reasons, which we will discuss later in this article.
We’re here to let you know that you can choose to keep your garbage can in or out of the garage. It all boils down to personal preference after weighing the pros and cons of doing either. Note that it is safe to keep your trash can in the garage should you decide to do so.
Some homeowners don’t have any choice but to leave their garbage cans in the garage, whether they like it or not.
This is because of the HOA’s (Home Owner’s Association) rule that trash cans should be hidden from plain sight. This rule is laid down to ensure that the neighborhood remains clean and neat.
What Are the Benefits of Keeping Your Garbage Can in Your Garage?
For those who might be wondering why they should keep their garbage can in the garage, here are some benefits that you should know:
- Compliance with HOA rules: This is the first on the list because it’s the most important. Almost every neighborhood has the Home Owner’s Association (HOA), a body responsible for maintaining order in the community. One of their duties is to ensure that the environment is clean and well-kept, and they’ve made it so no trash cans can be placed outside. So, keeping your garbage can indoors will be obeying the rules.
- Encourages Cleanliness: One of the benefits of keeping the garbage can inside the garage is the cleanliness it takes to maintain it. The garbage does not need to overflow, and the cans need to stay cleaned. Any liquids or garbage that leaks into the can should be cleaned out. This way, you don’t need to worry about the garage smelling bad and the trash cans can stay cleaned.
- It keeps animals and insects away: Animals and insects are attracted to trash cans because their heightened sense of smell can detect food waste and other edibles in the bin. Once that happens, you’ll be getting regular visits from these critters. Chances are they’ll scatter the waste all over the place and even kick over the garbage can. The best thing to do would be to keep your garbage can in the garage, out of the reach of raccoons, rodents, and even bears.
- Stop Unlawful Usage: Your garbage can should be used by you and your family only. Outside, anyone can dispose of their waste without your consent. This might pose a problem, especially if you live in areas where you have to pay a particular amount of money to get rid of your trash. If you don’t want to pay more than you should, keep your trash can in the garage.
What Are the Downsides of Keeping Your Garbage Can in Your Garage?
We won’t deny that keeping your garbage can in your garage has some downsides. Some house owners would prefer to keep the bin outside. So what are the disadvantages of keeping your trash can indoors?
- It can stink up your garage: One major problem house owners have to deal with when they have their trash can in the garage is the bad smell. And this will definitely not be convenient for you, especially if you spend a great deal of time in the garage.
- It can attract pests: Rodents, raccoons, and other pests can be really persistent, and keeping your garbage can in the garage might not really stop them from gaining access to their food source. So, if you keep your trash can in your garage, expect some four-legged criminals in the area. You can keep pests out by securing the garage and sealing up any cracks in the walls.
- Space issues: If you have a large garage, this shouldn’t be a problem. However, if you’ve got a small one, the garbage can might take up some space, which may disturb you whenever you want to work.
How to Get Rid of Garbage Smells in Your Garage
Of all the disadvantages of keeping your garbage can in the garage, the one that takes the crown is the smell you have to deal with. Usually, what causes this foul smell is the spoiled and rotten foods in your trash cans. Foods with strong scents like onion and fish can also contribute to the bad odor.
Thankfully, there are ways around this, and you don’t have to deal with bad smells in your waste can. Here are some things you can do to get rid of the smell from your garbage can:
- Dispose of food waste properly. You can keep food waste in the freezer until the day garbage pickup arrives, or you can dispose of them in heavy-duty plastic bags.
- Clean your trash can regularly. Bleach is the best option, as it helps to get rid of the smell in the garbage can.
- Clean garbage drains with baking soda or bleach.
- You can absorb bad smells by placing charcoal chunks, baking soda, or cat litter at the bottom of the garbage can.