Being a new homeowner comes with projects you may never have thought you’d need to do. A project like sealing your garage floor can be a pretty big one to consider. However, once you take a look at our pros and cons, your decision may end up being fairly easy!
Sealing your garage floor will prolong the life of your garage, keep moisture out of the concrete, and protect the floor from stains. However, it’s an expensive and time-consuming project. It’s also important to redo the sealant once it’s been worn through in 3-5 years.
Although this project might not be the best option for everyone, the potential benefits of sealing and protecting your garage floor are definitely worth taking a look at. Read on to learn more.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Sealing Garage Floors?
I briefly covered some of the pros already, but it’s important to go in-depth. The most important thing when tackling this kind of project is to determine whether it’s within your budget and if it will be worth your time.
Not everyone will have several days to clear out the garage, especially depending on the climate you live in. If that’s the case, this could be a very tricky project. To help you decide if it’s doable for you, here are some of the pros of choosing to seal your garage.
- Sealers are good for not only protecting moisture from getting into the porous concrete, but also for keeping stains off of surfaces as well.
- Some sealers can increase the life of a garage floor for many years.
- There are a variety of options and colors you can choose from to create an aesthetic finish.
- Sealing a garage floor can protect the pores from collecting debris, expanding, and cracking.
Now that you know that there are legitimate benefits, it’s good to know some of the drawbacks, too. For example, maintaining your garage and upgrading its aesthetic won’t be a cheap job. Not everyone can justify the price or the other downsides that come with it.
- Expensive – It’s an expensive kind of project in general, but for larger garages, it can be even more expensive.
- The process can take a long time. In some cases, it’s recommended to wait up to 2-5 days after it’s been sealed to use your garage floor again.
- Once the sealer fades and gets old, it will have to be redone.
- Some concrete sealers can be very slippery. It will depend on the product you choose to finish the garage floor with. Also, anything glossy will lose traction over time.
What’s The Best Sealer For Garage Floors?
One of the best brands for sealing garage floors is Foundation Armor (on Amazon). Their products have been rated some of the highest quality for sealers.
Depending on the product you find is best for you, they can cost anywhere from 20-50 dollars per gallon. It may not seem like a whole lot, but there are other factors to take into consideration as well.
A good rule of thumb is that each gallon of sealer will cover at least 200-500 square feet. It varies based on the particular product you choose, but a more accurate estimate will be listed in the product description itself, or in the instructions.
Another thing you need to consider when choosing the best garage floor sealer for you is the type of sealer you’d like.
These are the 4 types that you can choose from:
- Acrylic – Creates a thin layer on top of the concrete to protect it. Also dries the quickest.
- Epoxy – This is often not pre-mixed and comes in multiple components that will need to be combined. However, epoxy sealants will perform with the most durable and long-lasting finish.
- Penetrating – Will penetrate into the pores of the concrete to strengthen and protect it while leaving a matte finish.
- Polyurethane – Has a high-quality finish and will dry with a more protective layer that is clear.
Best Way To Apply Garage Floor Sealer
The first thing you need to do is clear the space out. Oftentimes a garage can be pretty cluttered, so this is a project all on its own!
It’s important to know that there are companies that will do this for you, so if you’d rather not do this part yourself, you may find it’s a better option to outsource the work. Once that’s done, there are a handful of things you may need to get in order to complete this project.
Some of those items may include a paint roller and paintbrushes, a paint tray, a scrub brush, concrete cleaner, and an oil remover.
Cleaning the floor very well is extremely important. This will ensure that the sealer sticks.
Applying the Garage Floor Seal
In some cases, you may need to fill any cracks before you continue this process. By filling any cracks or damage made to the floor first, you will create a much longer-lasting seal in the garage.
After that is done, you can begin applying the mixed solution on the concrete floor. The recommended method is to use the paint tray and carefully apply to the floor. I recommend starting with the edges with a small brush and then applying in long and straight strokes across the floor.
Once the floor is completely covered, follow the manufacturer’s directions for a second coat. Oftentimes you need to wait until the first one is dry, which can take a couple of days. If that’s the case, simply wait, and then follow the same steps a second time once the first coat is dry.
If you’re satisfied with the result, you might want to do it again in a few years, depending on how much usage the floor gets.