For some people out there, a cup of coffee is far more than getting a caffeine fix, it is a ritual, an undertaking of great love and joy as you brew your beans and watch the oils rise to the top, frothing the milk to perfection and then waiting to take that first glorious sip. Sometimes, though, you just want a little change to the routine and require something different to the norm.
Here we detail a few amazing coffee drinks that you can make at home that are far better than anything you'll get at a regular chain.
1. Thai Iced Coffee
- Crushed Ice
- 1 teaspoon of almond flavoring
- 2 teaspoons of ground cardamom
- 4 tablespoons of heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
Directions: Mix the coffee and cardamom together before brewing as you would normally. Once brewing is complete, mix in the sugar and almond flavoring and let the whole brew cool to a lukewarm temperature. Fill four glasses with the crushed ice to about 2/3rds of the way to the top before pouring the coffee over the top and then adding a teaspoon of cream to each one.
2. Black Magic Coffee
- 10oz of freshly brewed black coffee
- ¼ teaspoon of chocolate extract
- ¼ teaspoon of hazelnut extract
- ¼ teaspoon of rum extract
- Sugar Substitute
Directions: This one is as simple as anything. Brew the coffee then add the chocolate, hazelnut and rum extracts to taste and you may not even need the full amount. Add sweetener to taste as well and voila!
3. Cortissimo Shot
This is a base for many other drinks such as a stronger Cortado or flat white and is for the serious home barista who has an espresso machine.
Ingredients: 20g fine ground coffee per shot.
Directions: To get the perfect Cortissimo shot you need to extract the water at a high temperature and high pressure with a quick extraction time and a tightly packed basket. 0.7oz should be extracted per shot and you're aiming for a beautiful, golden-brown shot that is sweet and rich.
4. Creamy Iced Vanilla Caramel Coffee
- 4 cups of cold or room temperature brewed coffee
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/3 cup of french vanilla non-dairy creamer
- ¼ cup of caramel ice cream topping
- 3 cups of crushed ice
- Canned whip cream (optional)
Directions: Blend the coffee, ice, creamer and caramel together until completely smooth before splitting between four cups and topping with whipped cream (and more caramel sauce) if you fancy it.
5. Hot Buttered Toffee Coffee
- 4oz of Coffee Mocha ice cream
- 6 ounces of hot coffee
- 2 tablespoons of butterscotch topping
- 2 teaspoons of almond liqueur
- Canned whipped cream
- 1 tablespoon toffee pieces
Directions: Spoon the ice cream into a large coffee mug. Mix the coffee, butterscotch topping and almond liqueur before pouring over the ice cream and then topping off with whipped cream and toffee pieces.
6. Coffee Imperial
- 6 cups of freshly brewed strong coffee
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- Sugar to taste
- Crushed ice
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Cinnamon (optional)
Directions: Brew up some nice, hot coffee then add the cinnamon sticks and leave for an hour to let them infuse their taste. Add sugar to taste and then the heavy cream before chilling. Once chilled, pour over ice and top off with whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon.
7. Steaming Mocha Cocoa
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of ground coffee
- 1 of teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions: Heat all the ingredients together whilst whisking until the concoction is steaming and ready to drink.
8. Gingerbread Coffee
- Boiling water
- Hot milk
- 3 tablespoons of coarse ground coffee beans
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon of molasses
Add everything except the milk and boiling water to a 12oz press pot before adding the boiling water and stirring it all together. Replace the lid and let it brew for about four minutes before plunging and pouring. Add milk to taste and enjoy.
9. Vietnamese Egg Coffee
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoons of Vietnamese coffee powder
- 2 teaspoons of sweetened condensed milk
- Boiling water
Directions: After brewing a small cup of Vietnamese coffee, crack an egg and remove the whites before putting the yolk and the sweetened condensed milk into a bowl and whisking until very frothy. Take a tablespoon of the coffee and then whisk again. Pour the rest of the coffee mixture into a mug and then add the egg mixture on top.
10. Peppermint Patty Coffee
- 8ounces of brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons of powdered cocoa mix
- 1⁄2 a teaspoon of peppermint extract
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 2 ounces of skim milk
Put the cocoa and sugar into the bottom of a mug before pouring in the hot coffee and stirring. Add in the peppermint extract and milk and stir again. Simple.